NOTE: Little clarification, this is not needed at all ,as memory is freed when required.
WHY IT MAY BE HELP-FULL: This clears the page-cache , dentires and inodes.
IT’S TRANSLATION : It may be that you are watching a movie or using a Virtual Machine , a resource hungry process has filled up your ram by caching data and the data needs to be continuously removed to make space for new data . This is managed by the kernel.
IF YOU STILL DON’T GET IT: Notice video in your movie hanging (not audio) while your ram gets cached Or your system running a bit slow ?
1) Stop the process consuming loads of memory. (Check System Monitor).
2) Open a terminal with root privileges .
4) echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
5) echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Ubuntu is back with its new flavour “Jaunty Jackalope” . After the not so exciting 8.10 Release , the new edition has quite a few improvements. The old theme is still retained as the default but with refreshing new themes Dust ,Dust Sand And New Wave
– The boot up acpi problem is fixed
– Kernel being used is 2.6.28-11 .
– EXT4 Filesystem Support
– GNOME 2.26
– New Notification System
– Coherence tools (UPnP Plugin)
– Computer Janitor ( For removing unused Packages)
– USB Startup Disk Creator
– System Testing ( For Submitting Details to Ubuntu Hardware Database)
OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST
The radeon driver being used is glitchy (screen break up) and fps is low (as compared to fedora 10) but is bearable.
The b43/ssb drivers for wireless support for Broadcom Card still don’t work for BCM4312 Series but they can be replaced with wl which works directly.
The Notification System looks great ( hmm.. reminds me of the Mac Notification System Growl).
It comes with Firefox 3.08 instead of Firefox 3.1 Beta which is a bit disappointing.
Overall Canonical has done a decent job to avoid another disappointment like Intrepid Ibex.
Rating: 8.5/10 (Try it Out!)